Why this Williamson County highway may be ‘new center of gravity’ for critical tech in the US
The 17-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 79 from Round Rock to Taylor is rapidly becoming a high-tech corridor. In recent years, a number of major tech companies have announced plans to build facilities in the area, including:
- Samsung Electronics: Samsung is building a $17 billion semiconductor manufacturing plant in Taylor. The plant is expected to create 2,000 jobs and start production in 2024.
- Tesla: Tesla is building a $1.1 billion manufacturing plant in Austin, just a short drive from Round Rock. The plant is expected to create 10,000 jobs and start production in 2022.
- Meta: Meta, formerly known as Facebook, is building a $1 billion data center in Hutto, just a short drive from Round Rock. The data center is expected to create 1,000 jobs and start operations in 2023.
In addition to these major projects, a number of other tech companies have also announced plans to expand or relocate to the area in recent years. This includes companies like Apple, Google, and Amazon.
The rise of the high-tech corridor along U.S. Highway 79 is being driven by a number of factors, including:
- The availability of skilled workers: The Austin area has a large and growing pool of skilled workers in the tech industry. This is due in part to the presence of a number of major universities in the area, including the University of Texas at Austin and Texas State University.
- The low cost of living: The cost of living in the Austin area is relatively low compared to other major tech hubs, such as San Francisco and Seattle. This makes the area attractive to tech companies looking to reduce costs.
- The favorable tax climate: The state of Texas has a favorable tax climate for businesses. This includes no state income tax and no corporate franchise tax.
The rise of the high-tech corridor along U.S. Highway 79 is having a major impact on the region. It is creating jobs, boosting the economy, and attracting new residents. The corridor is also expected to play a major role in the future of the tech industry in the United States.
Rock Properties Realtor® live, work and office near the stretch of Highway 79 from I-35, through Round Rock, Hutto and on to Taylor. If you are buying or selling real estate, including residential, commercial property or land, Rock Properties will provide you excellent service based on 20 years of real estate experience in Williamson County Texas. Call us at 512-850-4510.